Monday 19 March 2012

The "Official" Response

At the outset of this entire endeavour to express my own personal thoughts and feeling regarding the game of hockey, and the personalities within, I never anticipated it would have the impact that it has in such a short time. Some have enjoyed it, while others have had issues with it.

This post is going to explore a topic that has truly been the most controversial throughout the season, officiating. No, I will not be ranting and raving about the conduct and/or professionalism of our nightly zebras, but more so their ignorance to how they are viewed from outside the playing surface.

As you all most certainly know, I have said my piece quite freely on a nightly basis and am shocked that it took as long as it did for the event that transpired prior to game 2 of the Kootenay Conference Final.

Jim Maniago tracked me down in the stands and wished to discuss my recent blog post from game 7 of the NM Division Final. Apparently, unlike S. Peel and E. Dasti, Mr. Maniago has a thinner skin and seems more sensitive to having his precious hobby criticized. Literally, his first words to me were, "Do you have a problem with me?". Seriously Jim, I don't even KNOW you, so how could I have a problem with you? The calls you make or DON'T make on the ice has no reflection, in my mind, to the person you are. The question should instead have been, "Do you have a problem with my officiating?"...now THAT is a different story.

What honestly stunned me the most about the entire exchange, was the fact that he seemed genuinely upset that someone would think this way and figured I had no right to voice my opinion. WAKE UP JIM!! Freedom of speech allows me to as long as I'm not being defamatory in any way. And, despite what you think, saying that "I despise you" is in no way defamatory. Feel free to go through any of my posts for any personal attacks to you or any other official. In fact, during our conversation, you yourself crossed that line in calling me a "geek that hides behind a computer screen".

The on ice conduct of the officials is most certainly a public affair and thus should NOT be such a huge shock when opinions are also made public. During the following 2 intermissions, the chatter within the area I was sitting completely hinged on the crowds thoughts and feelings of the officiating of Maniago, both in the game and in general.

Lastly, I would like to apologize to Chris. The conversation should NOT have happened over top of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anonymous comments are ok, I implore you to include your identity.....or are you chicken ;)